Wednesday, April 28, 2021

 

SHAMEFUL!!

Christian pastor arrested for making 'homophobic statements' after preaching from the Bible says he was treated 'shamefully' - and was 'doing what my job description says'

 

ACTS 20:22-24

22 And now, behold, I go bound in the spirit unto Jerusalem, not knowing the things that shall befall me there:

23 Save that the Holy Ghost witnesseth in every city, saying that bonds and afflictions abide me.

24 But none of these things move me, neither count I my life dear unto myself, so that I might finish my course with joy, and the ministry, which I have received of the Lord Jesus, to testify the gospel of the grace of God.

 Two women can be heard shouting 'this is a Christian country' as the policeman leads the 71-year-old man away when he refused to stop addressing the crowd outside Uxbridge Station in West London

  • Women heard shouting 'this is a Christian country' as the preacher is led away
  • Police said they had received complaints about his 'homophobic comments'
  • Preacher arrested under Public Order Act before being released without charge.
  •  

    Mr Sherwood, a pastor for 35 years, said: 'I wasn't making any homophobic comments, I was just defining marriage as a relationship between a man and a woman. I was only saying what the Bible says – I wasn't wanting to hurt anyone or cause offence.

    'I was doing what my job description says, which is to preach the gospel in open air as well as in a church building.

    'When the police approached me, I explained that I was exercising my religious liberty and my conscience. I was forcibly pulled down from the steps and suffered some injury to my wrist and to my elbow. I do believe I was treated shamefully. It should never have happened.' 

    Mr Sherwood, who preaches at an independent evangelical church in north London, was arrested under the Public Order Act for allegedly causing alarm or distress. He was released without charge but a file has now been passed to the Crown Prosecution Service for review.

    The Metropolitan Police said a member of the public flagged down patrol officers and alleged Mr Sherwood had made homophobic comments.

    Women heard shouting ‘this is a Christian country’ as the street preacher is led away in handcuffs by police

    FROM THE DAILY MAIL UK: Two women can be heard shouting ‘this is a Christian country’ as two policemen lead the 71-year-old man away when he refused to stop addressing the crowd outside Uxbridge Station in West London. Police said they had received complaints the man had been making ‘allegedly homophobic comments’ and arrested him under the Public Order Act, which can be used under the vague proviso that someone is using ‘abusive or insulting words’ that cause ‘harm’ to someone else.  He was later released without charge.

    A statement posted to a Christian Facebook his supporters read: ‘Whilst he was preaching, he expounded the final verses of Genesis 1, declaring that God’s purpose in creating mankind was to set human beings in families, headed by a father and a mother, not by two fathers, or by two mothers.

     


No comments:

Post a Comment